Sunday, May 30, 2010

The adventure home

I am sure not all of you would want to know about someone's trip home normally, but since this was not a normal trip, I felt that it needed some explanation in great detail to do justice to the events that took place. I promise to keep it as short as possible...

It was Sunday, the 16th of May and we were suppose to leave at different times from the airport in Fort Wayne. Ingrid was going to fly at around 1 pm and my flight was scheduled for around 5 pm. So weird start, but I mean that is definitely possible so it was not too suspicious. Well so I decide to just go to the airport the same time that Ingrid goes and then just wait around until my flight leaves later. We get to the airport and as I get out of the car, I realize that I did not bring my backpack with me. Pretty smart move right? Diego, my roommate tells me not to worry, but what does he know about the events that was going to happen the next couple of days.

It was perfect. I was going to go home to pick up my backpack and watch Rafa beat Roger again in the Madrid final before I had to be back for the flight at 5. We literally stopped at the house when Ingrid called and told me that they made a mistake and that I would actually have to fly with her in about 30 minutes. That is exactly how far the airport is from where we live. I am going to skip the details, but I missed that flight obviously and in the end I got another flight the next day to Atlanta where I would fly from to Johannesburg and then to Cape Town.

Monday, the 17th of May. Mishap number 2. My plane leaves the Fort Wayne airport and hour and 45 minutes late and I miss my connecting flight on Atlanta. I spend the night in a hotel in Atlanta. I was lying on the bed when I suddenly got a little thirsty. A Coke sounded delicious and as I opened my backpack to take out my wallet I made the discovery that my wallet was not in it as I thought. Fast forward a bit to the next day after I had contacted the Lost and Found departments of the Atlanta airport, the Fort Wayne airport, and Delta, the airline with which I flew. Keep in mind that this was aoll done throught the internet because I had cancelled my phone for the summer (a normal thing to do when you are not going to miss your flights).

My flight was the night at 7 pm and I did not miss this one since I was on the airport since about noon. When I got into the plane I realized that my seat was in first class and this made the flight a lot more enjoyable. I got to Johannesburg safely and then flew to Cape Town where my mom, sister, brother, and Ingrid were waiting. I know this was a long story, but I felt it was worth telling since this was the most interesting trip I had had up to that point in my life.

Best line of the trip:

I met a guy on the Atlanta airport who had lost his Raybans. After hearing that I had lost my wallet he asked the following, intriguing question: "Why did you do that?"

I am open to any suggestions on what to answer to a question like that in the future.

Thanks....Ayoba

Hermann

3 comments:

  1. did you ask him why he lost his raybans !? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. cito I did not know that one ;) mmm...tell him someone asked you to do it and you had to say: YES!!! haha
    tk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete